Friday, May 6, 2011

yep. my job is pretty okay.




tonight, senior portraits. tomorrow, a wedding.

the wedding i'm shooting, i'm doing as a volunteer. my dad's best friend is getting remarried. they went through high school, through vietnam, through adulthood, through parent hood, through life...together. the groom's first wife, died suddenly and unexpectedly, about a decade ago and i remember it really sucking. i remember being at the funeral and i remember seeing the pain in the eyes of the kids who were my age, who i had grown up with, side-by-side. i remember seeing a tall, strong, gruff, motorcycle riding man, so low in life that he wasn't sure how to raise his head up high and i remember crying not for myself, but for them. they're a large, close, family who walks slightly off the beaten path and seems a generation behind their time, but is always together in this life...and a part of me had always wanted to just be a part of them.

tomorrow, the husband is remarrying. he's remarrying a woman that his first wife would have had as a friend. she fits in so perfectly with all the quirks and rolls with it all effortlessly. she loves him and he loves her and i love it all. i hope i make it, as the photographer, without crying too much...though as i write this, i can feel the tears well. getting to be a part of tomorrow feels like an honor to me.

ya know...looking at my photo blog tonight, it's kinda funny how i feel through my lens. i'm a sensitive person as is...but through my lens, i feel it long before i see it. i feel paper thin when looking at my images. i see life moments, captured forever, and i feel so insignificant in front of them. i genuinely feel honored, and i deeply respect, being invited into major intersections within people's lives.

i couldn't ask for a cooler, more real, job :)

No comments: