Sunday, June 29, 2008

squeeeeeeeeze. there...buttoned.

(i have recently learned that t-ball is the most chaotic sport in the world...)

well, i'm getting to the point where my pants don't seem to slip on with the same ease they used to...so, i think i need to cut back on the crap. i found this diet plan yesterday...i think it's like an old farmer's one or something, but it sounds solid...

"Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a college kid with a maxed out charge card."

i think i might be able to adhere to that one for a bit. i've been thinking about switching my dinner to bread and wine anyway so that would work, right? (i finished the book down and out in london and paris rather recently...great read...lots of bread and wine. oh, i have one more thing to say about that book but i'll say it below, out of the parenthesis. long parenthesis annoy me.)

i think cheap wine, farmer's market bread...and maybe some goat cheese here and there, when possible would be ideal... all of that would cost me about fifteen or twenty bucks a week max. see, something has to go with my recently renewed love for red wine...i think it will be food. hmmm...that sounds bad huh? well, i can't afford them both and since wine seems to treat my stomach much better than a plate full of edibles does in the evening, i think it's time to try it. (late evening food does not sit well with me when i sleep...and with our schedule's, i'm always eating late.) by the time i get sick of this diet i'm willing to bet my pants won't be feeling so snug either...perfect.



oh yeah...the down and out in paris and london thing i wanted to mention...for the past eleven years, i have worked in and/or around the restaurant/hospitality industry...and apparently, nothing has changed...even all the way across the atlantic on this side of the world. seriously, that book was set in the 1920's in paris and london and the social structure of the industry and employees, common employee complaints, customer issues, management, etc...are all the same. the flooring and lighting (though i have worked through power outages) and cleaning methods are better now, along with the ease of acquiring the food but still...i loved that book for so many reasons but that was a really unexpected, but fun, parallel to ponder.

yeah, i nerded out there a bit but oh well...i'll leave you with one of orwell's closing thoughts because it's a good one...

"At present I do not feel that I have seen more than the fringe of poverty. Still I can point to one or two things I have definitely learned by being hard up. I shall never again think that all tramps are drunken scoundrels, nor expect a beggar to be grateful when I give him a penny, nor be surprised if men out of work lack energy, nor subscribe to the Salvation Army, nor pawn my clothes, nor refuse a handbill, nor enjoy a meal at a smart restaurant. That is a beginning."

No comments: