Monday, January 28, 2008

busted Buddha and eternal damnation

(the tree on my three mile hike today)

first thing i did this morning: busted the head off my Buddha statue. it's just a little thing, but man, when it hit that floor it looked as if it weighed a hundred pounds; the head shot one way and the body rocketed the other, and i just stood there, mouth gaping, in between the two.

first thing i thought: crap, i'm going to hell. then, i remembered that that could only happen if i busted the head of of Jesus. (look, i started out my first, and consequently, most formative years at a catholic school. it is hard-wired into me that i could go to hell for nearly anything...) so, as i was gluing Buddha's head back on with tacky glue, it occurred to me that Buddhist's are all about freedom from attachments. the thought of going to hell for breaking a head of a statue suddenly seemed silly; well, that and the fact that Buddhist's don't believe in hell anyway--seeing that they're not Christians. anyway, that's how my morning started. good thing i didn't leave my Jesus statue sitting on my windowsill...


No comments: